Your roof may need to be patched after strong winds send tree branches through it. Removing an old satellite dish or vent could also result in a hole that requires a patch. Whatever the cause of your roof damage, you need to finish the job before wet weather strikes. In this article, you will learn the steps for how to patch a hole in the roof, as well as what tools and materials are needed. The roofing repair experts at Bay Roofing will explain the process step by step.
Materials and Tools Required
- Extension ladder
- Measuring Tape
- Utility knife
- Pry bar
- Reciprocating saw
- Liquid nails
- 2 x 4 lumber
- Roof decking same thickness as the existing deck
- Tar paper
- New shingles
Instructions for Patching a Hole in the Roof
- Place your ladder in a stable location, climb onto the roof, and locate the hole.
- Use a pry bar to lift shingles off the damaged area. Start with shingles above the hole and work downward.
- Pull out all nails with a claw hammer.
- Cut the tar paper in the damaged area using a utility knife.
- Cut a square or rectangle around the hole with a reciprocating saw. Do not cut into roof rafters. Make sure to remove all damaged decking. You might have to cut out two squares if the damage crosses a rafter.
- With the deck edges exposed, measure board thickness to determine the size of replacement decking.
- Measure the opening and cut a piece of new decking to fit.
- Measure and cut 2 x 4 lumber to build braces across and around the gap. Attach braces to rafters around the edges of the gap with 10-penny nails. Leave the edges of each brace exposed around the opening for the patch.
- Dry fit the patch and adjust its size if necessary.
- Spread liquid nails on the patch and press them into place.
- Nail the patch to braces with 8-penny nails.
- Spread roofing tar over the patch seams.
- Cut tar paper to fit over the area. Slide the upper edge beneath the existing tar paper or shingles and overlap the bottom edge by 2 inches.
- Nail tar paper with roofing nails.
- Start at the bottom of the exposed area when nailing on new shingles.
- Put a bit of roofing tar over shingle nails.
Get Help from The Roofing Experts at Bay Roofing Today
A roof that has significant damage or rotted decking will need more than just a patch. When your roof needs to be repaired, trust an established company that specializes in residential roof repair services. Bay Roofing is here to help and can quickly and affordably repair your roof. Contact the experts at Bay Roofing today for a free estimate.