Roof vents can assist in removing moisture from your home’s interior brought on by a kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, and other areas. Fortunately, these vents are simple to locate (at your local home improvement store) and simple to install with a minimal amount of equipment. The following are the methods provided by our roofing repair professionals for installing a roof vent:
- Drill Bit
- A Marking Pencil
- A Jigsaw
- Pry Bar
Installation of the Roof Vent
- First, go up to your attic and figure out where you want to put your roof vent.
- Drill a hole in the center of the desired region, leaving the drill bit protruding through the roof so you can find it from the outside.
- Next, lean your ladder against your house and climb to the roof.
- Find the drill bit.
- Measure the open area of the vent with your ruler (the part that will sit flush with your roof).
- Next, using your drill bit as a guide, measure the same size space onto your roof with a ruler and a marking pencil.
- Cut along the measured lines with your jigsaw or reciprocating saw. Cut through the shingles as well as the timber beneath.
- Then, using your pry bar, loosen the shingles around the hole.
- Invert your vent and apply a thick bead of caulk to the flange.
- Slide the top and sides of your vent beneath the shingles, leaving the bottom side uncovered and laying over the shingles.
- Next, hammer a nail every few inches into the vent to fasten it to your roofing structure.
- Nails should be used to secure any loose shingles around the region.
- Repeat steps 1-13 for any additional roofing vents you want to install.
Let the Pros at Bay Roofing Handle Your Roof Vent Installation
If you are struggling with your roof vent installation, don’t hesitate to give our experts a call 1-888-820-6028. While you’re in your attic completing the steps for how to install a roof vent, you may notice other issues like moisture or light seeping through cracks. Here at Bay roofing, we repair and replace roofs and can evaluate the problems with your roof. Our knowledgeable crew is capable of resolving any of these problems. Contact a qualified roofer right away to prevent water damage to your roof and to the rest of your home.