Your roof must be able to withstand extreme heat and cold, heavy winds, and rainy conditions. As soon as the elements lift or damage any shingles, you must prioritize roof repairs. Otherwise, your roof may lose more shingles, and water may cause damage to the sheathing. The methods for repairing loose shingles should take no more than an hour or two of your time. When utilizing a ladder and working in high spots, use caution as with other roof repairs. Your ladder should extend over the edge of the roof and have solid footing.
Tools and Materials
Ideally, you’ll have a few shingles left from the last time that your roof was replaced. If not, buy a package of shingles that matches your existing roof as closely as possible.
- Pry bar
- Utility knife
- Roofing cement
- Replacement shingles
- 1-3/4 inch galvanized roofing nails
How to Fix Loose Shingles Directions
- Gently lift the shingle tabs covering the nails holding the loose shingles.
- Ease the notched end of the pry bar beneath the damaged shingle and lift each nail slightly.
- Position the pry bar on top of the loose shingle and grab each lifted nail.
- Push on the pry bar or hit it with a hammer to pull the nail out completely.
- Repeat this process with each shingle.
- Nails going through the row of undamaged shingles above the loose ones should be securing the lower row as well.
- Gently lift the undamaged shingles and remove the nails holding the lower row.
- Pull off or cut away damaged shingles with a utility knife.
- If you see cracks or tears in the roofing paper, seal them with roofing cement.
- Spread roofing cement with trowel and wipe with a rag.
- Fit new shingles into place. Cut pieces with utility knife as necessary to position new pieces.
- Put roofing cement beneath new shingles to ensure that they stick down.
- Use the holes where you removed the original nails when nailing new shingles.
- Be sure to nail back down any undamaged shingles that had to be loosened to release damaged shingles.
- Seal each nail head with a bit of roofing cement.
Professional Roof Repair Company
Significant shingle damage or damaged sheathing necessitates more than merely replacing a few loose shingles. Bay Roofing’s skilled roofers understand how to repair loose shingles and other roof problems. Request a roof repair quote from us immediately.