Wind and water could shift the position of your rain gutters slightly over time. If they lose the pitch necessary to keep water flowing, then stagnant water will pool and form in your gutters. If water is not draining from your gutters correctly, this guide created by the experts at Bay Roofing explaining how to fix gutter slope will be very helpful. The adjustment that you make should achieve a pitch of roughly 1/2 inch for every 10 feet of gutter.
Only a few basic tools are needed when you follow the steps for how to fix gutter slope.
- Chalk line
- Measuring tape
Instructions for How to Fix Gutter Slope
- Measure the length of the gutter that you plan to adjust.
- A gutter over 30 feet needs two downspouts. It should pitch from the middle toward the downspouts at each end.
- Start on the end of the gutter farthest from the downspout and measure the space from the roof edge to the top of the gutter.
- Mark the measurement on the fascia board.
- Take the same measurement at the opposite end near the downspout.
- Add 1/2 inch or 1 inch to this measurement depending on the gutter length and mark the fascia.
- Loosen the screws holding the gutter brackets and release the gutter from the building.
- Detach the downspout connection if it’s in your way.
- You can tack the gutter temporarily in a lower position with some nails if you like.
- Snap a chalk line from the first and highest mark to the mark by the downspout end.
- Place the gutter back against the fascia and line it up with the chalk line.
- Tighten the gutter brackets to hold the gutter in the new position.
- Check your work by running a garden hose in the gutter.
- Water should flow away immediately and completely.
- Reassemble the downspout.
Choose Bay Roofing to Fix Your Gutter Slope
Although repairing gutters is not a technically demanding chore, it can be tedious to do without a partner. If you don’t have anyone to help you, then consider the affordable alternative of hiring Bay Roofing to fix your gutter slope. With over 40 years of experience performing residential and commercial repairs, we are proud to be a well-established name that you can trust and depend on. Don’t hesitate to consult us about any roofing, siding, or gutter concerns. Contact us today for more information and to discuss your exact needs.